INDIA A BRIEF DESCRIPTION
* Official Name : Republic of India
* Capital : New Delhi
* Nationality : Indian
* Geographical Area (Sq. Km.) : 32,87,263
* Population (2001) : 1,02,87,37,436
Males : 53,22,23,090
Females : 49,65,14,346
* Pop. Density : 325 per sq. km.
* Sex Ratio : 933 females per 1000 males
* Literacy Rate (2001) : 64.8%
Males : 75.2%
Females : 53.7%
* Total workers : 40,22,34,724
* National Income (2005-06) : Rs. 28,54,683 crores
* Per Capita Income (2005-06) : Rs. 25,788
* States : 28
Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Gujarat, Karnataka, Orissa, Chhattisgarh, Tamil Nadu, Bihar, West Bengal, Arunachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Asom, Himachal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Punjab, Haryana, Kerala, Meghalaya, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura, Sikkim, Goa.
* Union Territories : 7
Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Delhi, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Pondicherry, Chandigarh, Daman & Diu, Lakshadweep.
* Mountain Ranges : 7
1. The Himalayas, 2. The Patkoi and other ranges bordering India in the north and north-east,
3. The Vindhyan, 4. The Aravalli, 5. The Satpura, 6. The Sahyadri,7. The Eastern Ghats.
* Main Watersheds : 3
1. Himalyan range with its Karakoram branch in the north,
2. Vindhyan and Satpura ranges in Central India, and
3. Sahyadri or Western Ghats on the West Coast.
* Situation : India is the seventh largest country and second most populous country of the world accounting for about 2.4% of the total world area. lying entirely in the northern hemisphere, the mainland extends between latitude 8°4' N and 37°6' N and 68°7' E and 97°25' E and is a part of the Asian continent. India measures about 3,214 km from north to south between the extreme longitudes and about 2,933 km from east to west...